Latest News« Back to News
Year 9 Challenge AssemblyJuly 5th, 2015
Year 9 Challenge is a project involving the whole of Year 9 at HMSG which has been running one lesson per week for the whole of 2015. The girls task was to form a political party and win the election to govern the imaginary country of Astoria.
Year 9 formed 8 different political parties. Each elected a leader, researched policies, wrote a manifesto, recorded a party political broadcast, presented their policies to the senior school in hustings. Year 7 – 10 girls then voted for their choice of party to run Astoria. The Election result was announced in Assembly on 29th June: PCP, led by Lucy and Charlie were elected to form the government.
The girls had to learn important new skills including:
- Setting agendas and minute taking
- Adapting to change and coping with obstacles
- Negotiating with team members
- Delegating tasks
- Setting and meeting deadlines
- Researching huge amounts of existing political and economic theory and practice – and making sense of it!
- Understanding the power of language and persuasive techniques
- Designing and creating a political flyer
- Scripting and creating a party political broadcast
- Drafting and rehearsing a leader’s speech to present to Y7-10