Foundation Sixth Form Year
This programme allows students from outside the UK to complete GCSE courses in one year and then proceed to study A Levels or the IB in the UK.
- Normally, GCSE courses take 2 years but by using intensive teaching, modern facilities and working with students in very small groups, Monmouth School for Girls is able to prepare students for these examinations in just one year.
- Foundation Sixth Form Year students are integrated into the boarding life of the school, providing a perfect preparation for Sixth Form study and a much broader educational experience than that offered by an International School in the UK.
We offer GCSE examinations in the following subjects:
- English as a Second Language/First Language
- Own Language
- Dual Award Sciences
- Economics (for September 2017)
If students wish to take a GCSE in a subject not offered above, we endeavour to arrange tuition at an extra charge. It is possible to take English GCSE as a First Language if a student’s level of English is good enough.
Depending on their age and level of English, students can take up to 6 GCSE subjects in a year. Teaching is in separate lessons taught at both Monmouth School for Girls and Monmouth School for Boys.
Lessons follow the normal school day and Saturday morning.
Why study at Monmouth School for Girls?
- A school with outstanding academic results – 72nd in GCSE league tables 2014
- Small class sizes (maximum 10 students)
- Specialist teachers
- A caring yet disciplined environment
- High standard of facilities
- Full and varied programme of activities
- Excellent pastoral care
- Boarding is home from home
- Value for money fees
Living at Monmouth School for Girls
Monmouth School for Girls’ boarders live in comfortable boarding houses and are cared for by dedicated house staff. We want to help students to adjust to boarding school life in a small, happy, safe and friendly environment. There is a health centre on the campus providing 24 hour medical care. Good telephone and wireless access throughout the campus make it easy for students to keep in touch with home. Bedrooms are usually allocated on an age basis with the older students having their own single study bedroom and the younger students sharing in mixed-nationality bedrooms. The bedrooms are comfortable and well equipped. The school provides three hot meals a day for students. All students eat together in the school dining room. The food is offered as a buffet selection and includes fresh vegetables, fruit and desserts. There is plenty of choice so all diets are catered for.
Monmouth School for Girls is well known for offering students a rich and varied life outside of the classroom. We encourage all our students to try new sports and activities. This is a good opportunity for our students to make friends with British Students.
Some of the activities our students take part in are:
|Archery||Astronomy Club||Book Club|
|Canoeing and Kayaking||Chamber Choir||Creative Writing Club|
|Computer Club||Cross Country||Dance|
|Debating||Drama Productions||Duke of Edinburgh|
|Fitness Suite||German Stammtisch||Golf|
|Greek Club||Horse Riding||Lacrosse|
|Life Class (Art)||Maths Surgery||Netball|
|One Act Playwriting||Orchestra||Photography|
|Rowing||Science Film Club||Swimming|
- Register with Monmouth School for Girls
- Sit Maths and English assessment papers
- Have a Skype interview
- Place accepted
Admissions: Mrs Karen Stafford-Smith
T: 01600 711104 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Term Dates for 2017 - 2018
|Tuesday 5 September||Term begins for boarders|
|Friday 20 October||Half term begins|
|Sunday 5 November||Boarders return|
|Wednesday 13 December||Term ends|
|Wednesday 3 January||Term begins for boarders|
|Friday 9 February||Half term begins|
|Sunday 18 February||Boarders return|
|Thursday 29 March||Term ends|
|Monday 23 April||Boarders return|
|Friday 25 May||Half term begins|
|Sunday 3 June||Boarders return|
|Friday 6 July||Term ends|
|Monmouth School for Girls Foundation Sixth Form Year||£30,828 for three terms|
|Deposit for EU students||£200|
|Deposit for non-EU students||£1000|
|Music fees are currently||£266.60 for 10 lessons of 30 minutes|
|LAMDA Speech and Drama lessons||£175 per term for solo lessons
£120 for duo
£105 for groups
|Dance lessons (booked termly)||£7.00 per hour
£4.70 per 40 minutes
£3.50 per 30 minutes