Friends of Monmouth School for Boys
A Letter to all Parents:
On behalf of the Friends of Monmouth School for Boys I would like to wish you a very warm welcome to the Monmouth School for Boys and also thank all existing parents for the support you have given to our fund-raising events.
The Friends of Monmouth School for Boys, also known as FOMS, exists to raise funds for items that would not normally be covered by the school fees, and also to provide a social hub for parents. As a parent you are automatically a member and we encourage you to get involved to as large or small extent as suits you. At senior school it can be difficult to get to know other parents and the FOMS offers a great opportunity to meet and make new friends and get involved in the life of the school. You are welcome to attend our friendly and relaxed meetings which are held twice a term, without any commitment. If meetings are not for you, we are always most appreciative of any help or support you can give to our fund-raising events.
In the last couple of years we have introduced the Lion’s Den as a way of deciding which projects to fund. A panel from the FOMS committee have the cash and the boys come into our den to pitch their funding requests. This is a great way for the boys to sharpen their presentation skills and for us to meet the boys. It makes the process of distributing funding much more personal than simply supplying us with a written request.
In the past year we have supported the following with the boys pitching their requests the rough Lions Den:
- Canoe Club – £2,050 towards their trailer.
- Lions Mouth – £200 to set up and run the website
- Rocket project – £1,680
- Green Power Project
- Rowing Club – £695 for cox orb
- Water Polo – £895 for practice goals
We currently have a thriving enthusiastic committee, but many of us have sons who are in the final years of the school, so we need the support of parents with younger children in order for FOMS to continue. Our events have included refreshments at sports day, Summer Party, Curry and Quiz night, Christmas Fayre, Christmas wreath making and running the bar at the school production of Les Misérables.
If you feel you can help in any way, by getting involved with or supporting the events we hold, please get in touch via email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Future events for your diary:
|Fri 15th June 1.30pm||Refreshments at Sports Day
Please make sure boys have some change, so they can buy our yummy cakes, snacks, strawberries and cream and soft drinks. We will also be selling tea, coffee and Pimms for parents.
|Fri 15th June 7.30pm||FOMS Summer Party, Hitchcock Pavilion ** Cancelled **
An event not to be missed . Fun evening and great opportunity to meet other parents. Gourmet bbq and disco. Book your tickets early, as they are selling out fast.
With best wishes
Vicki Walker, FOMS Chair
Friends of Monmouth School; Registered Charity No. 1086096
Who we are?
All Monmouth School for Boys parents are members of FOMS and everyone is welcome, whether as a regular committee member or on an occasional basis attending or helping at events. We keep things pretty informal – meetings are usually held over a glass of wine – and fully understand that your time is precious. Our current line-up is as follows:
President: Dr Andrew Daniel
Chair: Vicki Walker
Vice Chair: Rachel Thomas
Treasurer: Fiona Powell
Media Co-ordinator: Sian Richardson
School Rep: John Geraghty
We currently have a thriving enthusiastic committee, but many of us have sons who are in the final years of the school, so we need the support of parents with younger children in order for FOMS to continue.
If you feel you can help in any way, by getting involved with or supporting the events we hold, please get in touch.
FOMS: Guidelines for considering funding requests
FOMS will consider all requests for funding in accordance with the following guidelines:
1. In order to succeed, the request must have a broadly educational purpose, in line with FOMS’ objects. “Education” should be given the widest possible interpretation; it need not be limited to academic purposes and may include musical, sporting, cultural and artistic elements. By way of example, items funded by FOMS in the past have included team football shirts, astronomy equipment, cookers for an overseas expedition, a table tennis table for one of the houses, a marquee used by the rowing club at regattas and the lectern and chairs in the Blake Theatre.
2. The request should benefit as many members of the school as possible. FOMS will not normally provide assistance for individual boys except in exceptional circumstances.
3. Although FOMS does occasionally fund items for one-off use, a request will be considered more favourably if it is likely to have a long-term benefit or can at least be used more than once.
4. Although there is no reason why FOMS funding should not benefit a particular group, house or club more than once, FOMS shall endeavour to direct its funding towards the widest possible range of beneficiaries and may refuse a request from any group, house or club that has received a large amount of funding in recent months or years.
5. FOMS will only consider requests put forward in the proper manner. Requests for items under £1,000 should be accompanied by two estimates, whilst requests for items over £1,000 should be accompanied by three estimates. All requests must come through a member of staff and not directly from pupils. If a request is not in the proper format or if the committee considers that it contains insufficient information, FOMS may ask for more information or suggest that the request be made again.
6. FOMS committee members will declare any interest in a request for funding, for example if their son is a member of the group, house or club requesting the funding. This will not disqualify that committee member from voting on the request.