Overseas Students

We welcome enquiries from overseas students who wish to join in Years 5-10 or Sixth Form.  There are currently a small number of overseas students and we maintain a good balance of British and international students in the boarding houses. 

All international students will be taught in an English medium and therefore are required to have a reasonable working knowledge of English.  We are not a Language School, but English as an Additional Language (EAL) is provided by experienced English teachers, for those that require it.  Extra charges are applicable.

See below for further details.

Entry Assessments

Years 5-10

  • Candidates are required to sit entry papers in English and Mathematics and in most cases they will also sit an EAL paper.
  • Report from the present school
  • Interview with Headmaster/Director of Studies or detailed report of an interview conducted by a recognised international agent.

Sixth Form

  • Candidates are required to choose three of the four subjects that they will study in the Sixth Form for their entry examination. There will also be an EAL English paper.
  • Report from the present school
  • Interview with Headmaster/Head of Sixth Form or detailed report of an interview conducted by a recognised international agent.


It is recommended to register candidates a year in advance of the entry date, and in any case before the end of December, prior to the September of entry.  Registrations can be considered at other times if places are available.

Please complete the registration form and return with the £60 registration fee.  The registration form is enclosed with the prospectus or may be below.

Monmouth School for Boys – Registration Form (PDF – 532kb)


Overseas students follow the same curriculum as our British students and they work towards General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) examinations in Years 10 and 11.  In the Sixth Form they will proceed to A level examination courses before applying to university. Assistance to take GCSE examinations in their own language will be given where possible.


All students, whose parents reside overseas, are required to have a suitable educational guardian. This is someone with whom they can reside during half-term holidays or leave-out/exeat weekends and who can act in case of an emergency. This could be a reliable friend or relative who is prepared to take on this task, but if not, the school can provide a list of professional guardianship organisations for parents to contact. However, it is the responsibility of parents to arrange their son’s guardian and not the school.

Information about Guardianship (PDF – 205kB)

2019-20 Boarding Nationality Split

2019-20 Day & Boarding Nationality Split

English as an Additional Language

The English as an Additional Language (EAL) department offers support for international pupils for whom English is not a first language. Pupils arriving in school in Years 7 to 10 will study English in small groups, focusing on key literacy and communication skills.  Support is given with specific tasks or homework if needed, and pupils have the opportunity to discuss individual concerns with the EAL co-ordinator.

Students arriving in Year 12 take IELTS preparation classes to ensure that they have the English language qualifications required for university entrance.  The classes focus on developing academic English in all four skills of listening, reading, writing and speaking; rigorous preparation and practice ensure that the students are prepared for the exam.