Foundation Sixth Form Year
This programme allows students from outside the UK to complete GCSE courses in one year and then proceed to study A levels or the IB in the UK.
- Normally, GCSE courses take 2 years but by using intensive teaching, modern facilities and working with students in very small groups, Monmouth School for Boys is able to prepare students for these examinations in just one year.
- Foundation Sixth Form Year students are integrated into the boarding life of Monmouth School for Boys, providing a perfect preparation for Sixth Form study and a much broader educational experience than that offered by an International School in the UK.
We offer GCSE examinations in the following subjects:
- English as a Second Language/First Language
- Own Language
- Physics/Chemistry/Biology (Dual award)
- Economics (for September 2017)
If students wish to take a GCSE in a subject not offered above, we endeavour to arrange tuition at an extra charge. It is possible to take English GCSE as a First Language if a student’s level of English is good enough.
Depending on their age and level of English, students can take up to 7 GCSE subjects in a year. Teaching is through a combination of separate lessons and lessons that are integrated with the main Year 11 classes.
Lessons follow the normal school day and Saturday morning.
Why study at Monmouth School for Boys?
- A School with outstanding academic results. 6 Oxbridge offers in 2017
- Small class sizes
- Specialist teachers
- A caring yet disciplined environment
- High standard of facilities
- Full and varied programme of activities
- Excellent pastoral care
- Boarding is home from home
- Value for money fees
Living at Monmouth School for Boys
Monmouth School for Boys’ boarders live in one of the senior boarding houses and are cared for by dedicated house staff. We want to help students to adjust to boarding school life in a small, happy, safe and friendly environment. There is a health centre on the campus with school nurses and each house has a matron. Good telephone and wireless access throughout the campus make it easy for students to keep in touch with home. Bedrooms are single or shared study bedrooms and are comfortable and well equipped. The school provides three hot meals a day for pupils. All pupils in Monmouth School for Boys eat together in the school dining hall. The food is offered as a buffet selection and includes fresh vegetables, fruit and desserts. There is plenty of choice so all diets are catered for.
Monmouth School for Boys is well known for offering pupils a rich and varied life outside of the classroom. We encourage all our pupils to try new sports and activities. This is a good opportunity for our students to make friends with British Students.
Some of the activities our pupils take part in are:
|Archery||Art Club||Astonomy Club|
|Brass Band||Brass Ensemble||Canoeing and Kayaking|
|Ceramics Club||Chamber Choir||Chess Club|
|Choral Society||Classics Club||Computing Club|
|Creative Writing Club||Cross Country||Cricket|
|Debating||Design & Technology Club||Drama Productions|
|Duke of Edinburgh Award||Fencing||Football|
|Garage Bands||Golf||History Discussion Group|
|Horse Riding||Jazz Orchestra||Life Class (Art)|
|Literary Society||Minecraft projects||Music Theory|
|Revolutio (book club)||Rowing||Rugby|
|Softball||Squash Coaching||String Chamber Music|
|Trampolining||Ultimate Frisbee||Water Polo|
|Wind Chamber Music|
- Complete the registration form for Monmouth School for Boys
- Sit Maths and English entrance papers
- Have a Skype interview
- Place accepted
Admissions: Mrs Diane Jakes, Admissions Registrar
T: 00 44 (0)1600 710433 Email: email@example.com
Term Dates for 2018 - 2019
|Wednesday 5 September||Term begins for boarders|
|Friday 12 October||Half term begins|
|Sunday 28 October||Boarders return|
|Wednesday 12 December||Term ends|
|Wednesday 2 January||Term begins for boarders|
|Friday 15 February||Half term begins|
|Sunday 24 February||Boarders return|
|Friday 29 March||Term ends|
|Monday 22 April||Boarders return|
|Friday 24 May||Half term begins|
|Sunday 2 June||Boarders return|
|Saturday 6 July||Term ends|
|Monmouth School for Boys Foundation Sixth Form Year||£32,061 for three terms|
|Deposit for EU students:||£200|
|Deposit for non-EU students:||£1000|
|Music fees are currently:||£25.20 individual lesson
£15.75 shared lesson
|Rowing:||£180 per annum|